· Company: TOTAL Gas and Power New Energies
· Contract: Permanent contract
· Branch: Gas & Power
· Location: San Jose (California, USA)
· Location of recruitment process: Houston (TX, USA)
· Salary: Depending on experience and qualifications
· Starting date: As soon as possible
TOTAL is one of the largest energy companies in the world, with over 96,000 employees, activities in more than 130 countries, and a branch, TOTAL Gas and Power (TOTAL G&P), dedicated entirely to the commercial development of gas resources and alternative energies (Solar PV, concentrated solar power, advanced biofuels, carbon capture and storage).
TOTAL has been involved in photovoltaics since 1983, and is driven by the ambition to become the global leader in the solar industry. TOTAL G&P pursues differentiation through technology as the first step towards building competitive integrated industrial operations in photovoltaic energy.
SunPower Corp – a strategic industrial asset
TOTAL G&P leverages an original networked innovation model in order to develop technologies that will make a real difference in the near or mid-term future. The network already includes several partnerships with leading companies and start-ups. In each partnership, researchers at the partner institution and TOTAL G&P scientists jointly design and carry out the research efforts.
The most important TOTAL G&P industrial asset in the solar industry is the California based SunPower Corp, one of the top three global solar companies by revenue. SunPower produces the world’s most efficient and reliable solar panels, guaranteeing high levels of energy production. The strategic decision of TOTAL G&P’s all-cash tender on SunPower made in 2011, has provided the group with a position as one of the leaders of the solar industry and reinforces the need for the company to accelerate innovation in solar energy.
TOTAL is seeking a Si Technology Specialist to be based at the SunPower R&D center in San Jose (California), as a TOTAL secondee providing support to SunPower in defining and implementing its silicon wafer roadmap. The candidate’s main mission will be to achieve continuous Si cost reduction by optimizing the wafering technology and also participating in other Si technology innovations. His/her successful results will contribute directly to maintaining the technological leadership of SunPower in photovoltaics.
The Si Technology Specialist will be working with SunPower scientists, engineers, and technicians on site and on SunPower production sites in Asia. In addition, he/she will work in close collaboration with the Belgium based Interuniversity MicroElectronics Centre, Imec, (a leading microelectronics and photovoltaics research center), and with the French-based LPICM research center (renown for world-leading research in thin and nanostructured material). For this reason, the candidate will be expected to travel about 30% of the time.
The candidate will benefit from a highly dynamic and inspiring international R&D environment, where he/she will be trusted with a large extend of autonomy while being part of a team of outstanding scientists. Furthermore, he/she will benefit from the advantages of being part of TOTAL, a major international company which provides employees with exciting career opportunities and a large number of benefits and advantages.
Roles and responsibilities
The main roles and responsibilities of the Si Technology Specialist will be to:
· Develop the equipment specification and select the most appropriate sawing platform.
· Optimize the sawing process and monitor both the wafer quality and Cost of Ownership.
· Contribute to the definition of consumable specification and selection.
· Coordinate tasks between different sites and partners (IMEC, LPCIM, TOTAL subsidiaries…), within the SunPower and the TOTAL networks.
· Benchmark different Silicon, ingot and wafer technologies.
· Beyond wafering, contribute to strategic initiatives of the Si Team related to the Si Cost Reduction Roadmap.
· Present findings to TOTAL G&P Headquarters (Paris), and to TOTAL Partners.
For this position, TOTAL is seeking a Technologist with significant technical expertise in various wafer sawing techniques and a passion for experimental work.
· PhD degree in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or related fields.
Knowledge and experience:
· At least 5 years of professional experience (preferably gained both in an industrial environment and in academia).
· Knowledge of and experience in wafering processes.
· General knowledge of PV Si supply chain and market.
· Experience with wafer characterizations (Raman, 4p-Bending, PL, etc.) would be appreciated.
· Knowledge of Si ingot growth and shaping would be a plus.
· Proficiency with statistical tools (DoE, etc.).
· Fluency in English.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Capacity to learn quickly.
· Organizational skills.
· Attention to details.
· Self-starter, comfortable with owning a development project.
· Strong team player attitude and capacities.
· Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.