· Company: TOTAL Gas and Power New Energies USA,Inc.
· Contract: Permanent contract
· Branch: Gas & Power
· San Jose (California, USA)
· Location of recruitment process: Houston (TX, USA)
· Salary: Depending on experience and qualifications
· Starting date: As soon as possible
TOTAL is one of the largest energy companies in the world, with over 96,000 employees, activities in more than 130 countries, and a branch, TOTAL Gas and Power (TOTAL G&P), dedicated entirely to the commercial development of gas resources and alternative energies (Solar PV, concentrated solar power, advanced biofuels, carbon capture and storage).
TOTAL has been involved in photovoltaic energy research (crystalline silicon, thin film, organic PV and CSP) since 1983, and is driven by the ambition to become the global leader in the solar industry. TOTAL G&P pursues differentiation through technology as the first step towards building competitive integrated industrial operations in photovoltaic energy.
SunPower Corp – a strategic industrial asset
TOTAL G&P leverages an original networked innovation model in order to develop technologies that will make a real difference in the near or mid-term future. The network already includes several partnerships with leading companies and start-ups. In each partnership, researchers at the partner institution and TOTAL G&P scientists jointly design and carry out the research efforts.
The most important TOTAL G&P industrial asset in the solar industry is the California based SunPower Corp, one of the top three global solar companies by revenue. SunPower produces the world’s most efficient and reliable solar panels, guaranteeing high levels of energy production. The strategic decision of TOTAL G&P’s all-cash tender on SunPower made in 2011, has provided the group with a position as one of the leaders of the solar industry and reinforces the need for the company to accelerate innovation in solar energy.
TOTAL is seeking a Project Manager in Next Generation c-Si Photovoltaics to be based at the SunPower R&D center in San Jose (California), as a TOTAL secondee.
In a highly dynamic international R&D environment, the candidate will be working with SunPower scientists, engineers, and technicians to design, choose, and down-select next generation c-Si solar cells and modules technology with extremely low costs and high efficiency. He/she will lead a number of projects within SunPower and TOTAL, and work in close collaboration with suppliers, several Bay Area partners and the leading microelectronics and photovoltaics research center, Imec, in Belgium.
The Project Manager in Next Generation c-Si Photovoltaics will be part of a team of outstanding scientists which will grow as the scope of the research will move on to the development and most likely the industrial phase. He/she will benefit from working with SunPower and be part of TOTAL, a major international company which provides employees with exciting career opportunities and a large number of benefits and advantages.
Roles and responsibilities
The Project Manager will:
· Lead TOTAL and SunPower projects relating to next generation c-Si solar cell concepts (e.g. epitaxy, thin silicon solar cells), often in collaboration with Bay Area partners, suppliers and/or European laboratories (IMEC, École polytechnique, etc..)
· Propose new ideas and concepts regarding c-Si technology (kerfless methods, etc.) to contribute to the definition of future scientific programs at SunPower and TOTAL
· Develop and/or validate project plans, estimating the resources needed and scheduling project timelines and milestones.
· Track project milestones and deliverables and ensure that all projects are completed on time and within budget and scope.
· Design, coordinate, and/or execute experiments on solar cells and modules especially with suppliers but also in the laboratories.
· Manage a significant yearly budget and several projects using the resources of different teams (inside SunPower) or laboratories
· Monitor the PV R&D landscape and identify promising technologies for next generation c-Si solar cells
· Analyze and determine the probabilities of success and the cost of ownership of various technological cutting-edge solutions. Present findings to TOTAL G&P Headquarters (Paris) and to TOTAL Partners.
For this position, TOTAL is seeking a Manager with significant scientific expertise and project management skills in c-Si photovoltaic technology.
· PhD degree in Materials Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Chemistry.
Knowledge and experience:
· At least 15 years of professional experience (preferably gained both in an industrial environment and in academia).
· Theoretical and practical knowledge of several next generation c-Si solar cell technologies (thin film silicon, epitaxy, kerfless approaches, alternative module fabrication, etc.).
· Demonstrated experience in project management, including complex projects with partners and stakeholders in a research environment.
· A proven track-record of innovative research.
· Knowledge of current c-Si solar cell processes.
· A strong track-record of publications in prominent scientific journals.
· Proficiency with statistical tools (DoE, etc.).
· Fluency in English.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· The capacity to think out of the box to find innovative solutions to scientific problems.
· Self-starter, comfortable with responsibility for major development projects.
· Strong team player attitude and capacities.
· Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
· Willing to travel approximately 25 % of the time (USA, Europe, and Asia).