TOTAL is one of the largest energy companies in the world, with over 96,000 employees, activities in more than 130 countries, and a branch, TOTAL Gas and Power (TOTAL G&P), dedicated entirely to the commercial development of gas resources and alternative energies (Solar PV, concentrated solar power, advanced biofuels, carbon capture and storage).
TOTAL has been involved in photovoltaic energy research since 1983, and is driven by the ambition to become the global leader in the solar industry. TOTAL G&P pursues differentiation through technology as the first step towards building competitive integrated industrial operations in photovoltaic energy. In line with this strategy, the company makes important investments in technology research, such as the recent co-foundation of the Institut Photovolta¿ °que d’Ile-de-France (IPVF), which will be one of the five largest photovoltaic research centers worldwide.
TOTAL G&P leverages an original networked innovation model in order to develop technologies that will make a real difference in the near or mid-term future. The network already includes several partnerships with leading companies and start-ups. In each partnership, researchers at the partner institution and TOTAL G&P scientists jointly design and carry out the research efforts.
One of TOTAL G&P’s most important R&D partners is the Laboratory of Analysis and Architecture of Systems (LAAS), a unit within the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS). In collaboration with LAAS, TOTAL G&P is setting up a team of scientists conducting short, medium and long term research in Systems Products and Services, as well as power conversion. The team develops cutting-edge technology for TOTAL G&P’s affiliate, SunPower Corp., renowned for producing the world’s most efficient and reliable solar panels.
TOTAL G&P is seeking a Team Leader for this Systems R&D team, who will define the systems overall strategy, roadmaps and projects, and ensure first-rate developments that proceed to the pilot and production phase.
The candidate will be trusted with a large extend of autonomy to form his/her team which is currently in a phase of growth, define future research topics, and shape the place which the systems activity has within TOTAL G&P.
The candidate will be based at the TOTAL G&P Headquarters in Paris, from where he/she will lead the Systems Team, which is located in Toulouse and Austin, Texas. He/she will benefit from an international work environment collaborating closely with various European partners and in particular with SunPower in California.
Reporting directly to the Head of the Department of Solar, the principal responsibilities of the Team Leader will be to:
• Manage and continue to build an R&D team of 5-10 researchers located in Europe and USA.
• Define the short, middle and long term R&D and cost roadmap on systems in the Si photovoltaics and power conversion value chain in alignment with SunPower.
• Give technical input, set up and manage a portfolio of R&D projects needed to achieve the roadmap goals.
• Track project milestones and deliverables and ensure that all projects are completed on time, within budget, scope and with proper technical documentation.
• Help define the integration of PV products to the final application (building-integrated PV, PV farms, …). Suggest and develop PV products and services that can be offered to SunPower’s customers.
• Set up and manage a network of academic institutions and suppliers that can contribute to achieving the roadmap goals.
• Continuously align the systems R&D activities and roadmap with the roadmaps of previous steps in the value chain.
• Give technical input on systems R&D topics in commercial negotiations.
• Manage a yearly budget of several million Euros
|• PhD degree in Electrical Engineering or related fields, ideally on Electrical Power Systems (for example Power Quality) or Power Electronics including experimental work
• Educational background in renewables or photovoltaics power conversion chain would be plus
• Fluency in English
|• Minimum 10 years of experience in electronics applied to PV, ideally gained both in an industrial environment and in academia
• Experience in power electronics, power conversion systems or/and battery management systems
• Extensive knowledge, experience and proficiency in Digital Signal Processor and Field Programmable Gate Array programming
• Proficiency in mechanical and electrical operating concepts
• Experience with Matlab development and simulation tools
• Understanding of Classical and Modern Control design techniques or experience in developing Control Systems in real applications
• A strong track record of successfully managed research projects
• Demonstrated success in leading R&D teams
• A publication history in prestigious international conferences and demonstrated publication record of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at international conferences.
|• Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
• Innovative thinking
• Intellectual curiosity and eagerness to be updated on the latest developments in his/her technical field
• Organizational skills and the ability to organize resources to meet deadlines
• Strong negotiation skills
• Capacity to communicate clearly written and orally
• Good interpersonal skills
• Team spirit
• Management skills
• Ability to work independently