TOTAL Gas and Power (Total G&P), one of the four branches of TOTAL, a major international energy company, is dedicated to the commercial development of gas resources and alternative energies (Solar PV, concentrated solar power, advanced biofuels, carbon capture and storage). Total G&P pursues differentiation through technology as the first step towards building competitive integrated industrial operations in these renewable energies.
The ambition of Total G&P is to become the global leader in the solar industry. The company has been involved in photovoltaic energy research since 1983, and leverages an original networked innovation model in order to develop technologies that will make a real difference in the near or mid-term future. The network already includes several partnerships with leading academic labs such as the Laboratoire de Physique des Interfaces et Couches Minces (LPICM) and various start-up companies. In each case, researchers at the partner institution and Total G&P scientists jointly design and carry out the research efforts.
One of Total G&P’s most important partners in the solar industry is the Belgium based Interuniversity Microelectronics Centre (Imec) where cutting edge microelectronics and photovoltaics is developed.
Total G&P is seeking a Scientist and Project Leader in Advanced Modules to contribute to the success of the TOTAL-Imec joint team of scientists working on advanced crystalline silicon (c Si) photovoltaic technology. The candidate will be part of a highly interdisciplinary and inspiring environment and collaborate closely with other Imec PV research teams, in particular in the field of metallization.
The main mission of the candidate will be to develop innovative c-Si module fabrication and process schemes. Secondly, the candidate will be leading the advanced module research activities, defining and piloting scientific Imec programs on advanced c-Si modules. The technological building blocks developed by the candidate and other members of the photovoltaic technology team will be aligned with another Total G&P partner, the California based company SunPower Corp., renowned for developing the world’s most efficient and reliable solar panels.
The roles and responsibilities of the Scientist and Project Leader in Advanced Modules include:
• Researching into existing innovative methods to metalize, interconnect, and encapsulate Si wafer based solar cells (literature and experience).
• Developing new module fabrication methods especially to enable handling and manufacturing of very thin c-Si wafers.
• Designing experiments and analyzing the results.
• Leading the Imec module projects, making sure timelines are met and leveraging potential synergies with other module technologies inside Total G&P.
• Helping to transfer novel technologies from the research phase to pilot production.
• Presenting findings to Total G&P Headquarters, other TOTAL scientists involved in modules projects, Imec collaborators, and in some cases to SunPower researchers.