Org Marketing Statement
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics. We create and make keystone components that enable high-technology systems for consumer electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications and life sciences. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, over 150 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Our products include glass substrates for LCD flat panel televisions, computer monitors and laptops; ceramic substrates and filters for mobile emission control systems; optical fiber, cable, hardware & equipment for telephone and internet communication networks; optical biosensors for drug discovery; and other advanced optics and specialty glass solutions for a number of industries including semiconductor, aerospace, defense, astronomy and metrology.
Department Marketing Statement
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
Scope of Position:
* Corning’s photovoltaic glass program seeks to create a business for Corning in the growing solar energy market. Its vision is to enable higher energy conversion efficiencies and/or lower manufacturing costs of thin film photovoltaic modules using Corning’s thin specialty glass.
* Corning’s glass offerings must also meet reliability and engineering requirements defined by certification organizations, customers, and system designers. The program needs to determine the reliability and engineering capabilities of our glass across a wide range of possibilities.
* We need a product engineer to build understanding of PV module reliability requirements, define testing plans and oversee test execution. This person will interact directly with customers, national labs, and universities on joint test plans and internally with modelers and other SME’s to build reliability understanding.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
* Be Corning’s internal subject matter expert on PV module packaging technology
* Define PV module packaging requirements
* Develop PV module packaging concepts
* Develop strategies and test plans
* Oversee/negotiate resources for testing
* Supervise technicians and junior engineers as business evolves
* Promote packaging concepts to customers as business evolves
* 10-25% Travel (Routine travel to vendors, learning partners, conferences, etc.)
International travel likely
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
* 40 hours/week minimum
* Graduate degree in engineering/science, materials engineering, or other engineering with a significant reliability background
Required Years and Area of Experience:
* At least 4 years experience working in the field of product development
* Demonstrated technical project leadership skills – at least 2 years of technical project leadership experience
* Product package design development
* Identifying complex design problems
* Developing solutions to complex product design problems
* Mechanical behavior of materials
* Glass strength and durability
* Ability and willingness to interact positively with customers, vendors, management, scientists, engineers, and technicians
* Proactive technical project leadership
* Glass lamination
* Experience in new technology and/or new product development, especially early stage process control and experimental analysis
* Understanding of Corning’s culture of innovation
* Knowledge of how to get things done at SP
* Team player, able to work across multiple functional organizations in a matrix environment
* Pro-active and self-managed attitude
* Willingness to take calculated technical risks
* Builds trust and credibility with customers
* Technically curious and astute
* Personally creative and appreciative of the creativity of others
* Rigorous and organized
* Diligent and conscientious
* Communicates effectively through written and verbal modes. Able to make credible
presentations to management, customers, and at conferences.
* Strong sense of urgency to meet project and business objectives